The book is written in a non-technical manner using first person narrative and crew member interactions to explain complex events in human terms. As the author receives engineering and conning officer watch training he shows how the fledgling submariner acquires the skills and knowledge of his trade.
At the conclusion of the central story epilogues describing complications in trying to return home from scotland and some of the experiences of his subsequent four patrols.
You will discover topics such as
- Berlin: the lines have been drawn
- Stemming the tide of communism in east asia
- Fighting the soviets for supremacy in space
- How the cold war calculus affected the middle east
- Cuba, vietnam, and increasing social unrest
- An east african cold war
- Cold war secrets and a place called area 51
- Ronald reagan and the evil empire
The seeds of the cold war were sown toward the end of world war ii. During the war, the united states and the soviet union were reluctant partners. The communist doctrine of the soviets was decidedly at odds with the us notion of capitalism, free enterprise, and rugged individualism. But as is often the case in history, despite their differences, america and soviet russia had a common enemy that brought them together-nazi germany.